Frequently Asked Questions

How much funding is given out to each child?


We provide up to $400 per calendar year (January - December) for each eligible child in the family. These funds can be for 1+ activities. 

Please note: $400 is not necessarily guaranteed for your child because it depends on how many funds we have. Try to apply well in advance of the activity.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What kinds of activities are funded?

We fund sports, arts, music, camps, and other recreational activities. Check out the guidelines at for a list of activities we fund.

If you don't know if the activity you want is eligible, call us at 519-826-9551, ext 23 or email

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

Do we qualify?

Children from birth up to and including the age of 18 at the time of application, and who live in Guelph or Wellington County are eligible for funding. Financial Eligibility is determined by your family size and household income. Click HERE to see what documents we require to show your family's household income.

Families with net adjusted income (Line 236 on your income tax) below the current Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) guidelines (see table below) are eligible for full funding (up to $400).


Family Size: adult(s) + child(ren) Income Level
1 person (e.g. independent youth) $21,822
2 people (1 parent + 1 child) $27,165
3 people $33,396
4 people $40,548
5 people $45,988
6 people $51,868
7+ people $57,747

 Income levels based on Stats Canada LICO figures - last updated 2017 stats year.



    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

How does the application process work?

  • Decide on the activity for your child. Contact the organization to find out all the details including:
    • The name of the activity: please be as specific as possible. For example: "Swimming: Summer 2015 RC Swim Kids 8" vs. "Swimming".
    • The start date of the activity - this is different than the date you are submitting the application.
    • The length of activity - example: 8 weeks
    • The total cost of the activity - please check carefully and be sure of this amount since this is what we will be paying to the organization. For example, be sure to check that the price includes hst.
    • The name of the organization that is offering the activity. Be sure you have the correct name. For example, swimming lessons at the West End Community Centre are run by the City of Guelph, so the name of the organization should be City of Guelph and not the West End Community Centre.
  • If you haven't already done so in the past, create an account online to submit your application or you can fill out an application and submit to our office in person, by email or by fax.  
  • If we require more information from you, we will contact you and your application will remain pending until we receive the information from you.
  • After the application is submitted with the required financial documents, we will review it and a letter will be sent to you to notify you of the decision.  You should hear from us within a week. If you have not heard from us within a week, please call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email us to check on the status.
  • Once you receive an approval letter for funding, you should contact the organization offering the activity and register directly with them. We do not register for the activity on your behalf.
  • The Children’s Foundation will send payment directly to the organization within approximately 2 weeks.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

How do I create an account online?

It is very easy to create an account and submit an application for funding. It should only take you about 5 minutes, depending on the number of children you are registering. 

Note: You will require a valid email address to create an account.  See: "What happens if I don't have an email address...." for information on how to apply by paper format.

CLICK HERE to begin registering.  The online system will take you through the steps, but they are also listed below for your reference.

  1. You will need to Register as a New User under the "Applying for Funding" page. Note: if you have applied in the past by paper format, there may be an account already opened for you. Please call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email first to get your account information rather than opening a new account.
  2. You will be asked to provide a "Username", a "Password", and your email address.  Click Go!
  3. A pop-up message will come up saying: "Thank you for registering! You have been sent an email with a confirmation link."
  4. Check your email account for an email from us with instructions on how to activate your account. You will not be able to proceed until you have checked your email and clicked on the activation link in the email.
  5. Note: this activation email is sent out automatically and immediately. If you do not see it in your in-box within a few minutes, please check your Spam/Junk folder to see if it's been filtered into there. For Gmail accounts, you might also need to check the Promotions Tab if you don't see the email in your in-box.
  6. Click on the activation link provided in your email.  It will automatically take you back to our online site and your account is now confirmed and activated.  At the bottom of this confirmation webpage is an orange button to Login. Click on this Login button.
  7. Enter the Username and Password you created and click Go!
  8. You can now follow the online instructions to enter information about your family, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address (please use same email address as you used to Register), family situation, and preferred method of communication. Once entered, click Submit.
  9. Please wait while the online system processes this page. Once done, you will see the message: "Thank you for adding or editing your family information. Please return to the applicant home page to proceed." 
  10. Click on the link provided for applicant home to now provide information about the child(ren) you are applying for, including their name, birthdate, and gender.  You will need to submit for each child you are wishing to apply for.
  11. Once the first child's information is submitted, you will be given the choice to either Apply For Funding, Edit the child's information you just submitted, or Add a New Child.  You can continue to enter additional children.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

I opened an account but never got an email to confirm?


If you've just opened an account, you will receive an automatic email with a link to "activate" your account.  If you don't see it immediately in your email in-box, check your Junk/Spam folder as it may have been filtered into that folder.  For Gmail accounts, you could also check your Promotions folder.   

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What happens if I don’t have an email address? Can I still apply?

Yes. If you don’t have access to or don’t have an email address, you can still apply to our program using our paper application. You can access this application:

  • from our website
  • by calling our office at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 and requesting one
  • by coming to our office at 87 Waterloo Avenue in Guelph and filling one out (Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm)
  • by emailing us at us and asking for one to be sent to you

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What if I've forgotten my Username or Password?

If you can't remember your Username, please call us at 519.826.9551, ext 23 or email: to request your Username.

Passwords can be re-set by CLICKING HERE.

It will ask for your User name.   You will receive an automatic email with a message that says:

You recently requested to reset your password on the Children's Foundation of Guelph and Wellington online grant application site. To reset your password please follow this link. If you did not request this password reset you can ignore this message. Your current password will continue to work.

Click on that link, which will take you to the online system where you can reset your password. We would suggest storing your password somewhere safe for future reference.

Once you've reset a new password, you can go right ahead and log-in and submit your application, upload new financial documents, etc.

Note: if you don’t see the email in your inbox right away, please check your Junk/Spam folder (or Promotions folder for gmail accounts) as it sometimes gets filtered to there.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

How do I submit a paper application?

Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington
87 Waterloo Ave
Guelph, ON. N1H 3H6

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What financial information should I provide?

We will need to see the most current year’s Canada Child Benefit (CCB-OCB) Notice which shows your marital status and the number of children in the family to verify family size, as well as your family's net adjusted income (Line 236). If you don't have the CCB notice, then an alternative would be either the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) notice or GST-HST Credit notice.

Alternatives to the above include:

  • A recent Ontario Works (OW) statement that shows monthly amount.
  • For refugees-immigrants, we can accept a Statutory Declaration from Immigrant Services or Settlement Services.

If these documents cannot be provided, please contact us to find out what we can accept.

Please note: Document size should be less than 8 MB if uploading documents to the online application system or sending to us by email.

If you are uploading your financial document to our secure online system, we highly recommend you black out your Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Sample from CCB Notice

Sample from CCB Notice 2016


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What if I don’t have current financial information?

Financial information is required to review the applications. If we have no information on file for your family, the application will remain pending until we receive it from you.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What happens if I don’t have access to a scanner to upload my financial information?

When using the online system, you will be asked to upload your financial document(s).  More and more, people are simply taking a photo of their financial document(s) using their cell phone and then uploading that as a jpeg to the site.  If you choose this option, please be sure to take a photo that is clear and legible.

If you are unable to upload your financial information, please send it directly to us by emailing or by fax (519-766-4870) or by mailing or dropping it off at our office at 87 Waterloo Avenue in Guelph.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

Can I review my pending applications through my account?

Yes. That’s one of the great things about the online application. You can now see which applications are still pending, and which ones are approved. You can also confirm how much funding your child potentially has remaining for the year.

Please note: remaining funds potentially available for your child(ren) depends on overall availability of funds and there is no guarantee those funds will be available for your child's activity.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

The activity starts next week. Can I apply and be approved this week?

The application process usually takes one week to complete if we have received all the required information and documents.  We suggest that ideally you apply at least 2 weeks before the activity or registration to allow enough time.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

How many activities can I apply for at one time?

We do not limit the number of applications per child, just the dollar amount. A separate application (online or paper) must be submitted for each activity.

    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

I submitted an application before and was approved. If I want my child to participate in a new session for the same activity or a different activity, do I need to apply again?

Whether it is for a new session of the same activity previously funded, or for a brand new activity, you will need to submit another complete application with the details of the new activity and costs. You may also need to submit updated household income documentation, depending on when we last received your financial information and/or if your situation has changed.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

If I paid for an activity can I apply for assistance and be reimbursed?

No. We will only make our payments directly to the organizations providing the activity. We do not pay parents directly nor do we reimburse for expenses already paid. One option might be if the organization offering the activity is willing to refund your payment to you. We will need confirmation of this prior to sending funding.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

What if my child was not able to take part in the activity?

As soon as you know your child isn't going to participate in the activity we've provided funding for, or that it has changed (example: funding was approved for 3 weeks of camp, but ended up registered for only 2 weeks), please contact us at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 or email to let us know.  This is important, as we may be able to cancel the funding for that particular activity, which then frees up those funds either for your child to use for another activity or for another child waiting for funding.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

Can I apply for funding through the organization my child is registering with?

No. The sports, recreation and arts organizations in Guelph-Wellington may tell you about our program, but they do not typically submit the application on your behalf. You must apply directly to us, either through our online system or through a paper application.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit

Can I transfer "unused" funds to next year?

No. We do not transfer funds not accessed in one calendar year to the next. While we can fund up to $400 per child in a calendar year, that does not mean that $400 is guaranteed for your child. It is always dependent on our overall availability of funds.


    Go to top...  Admin  Edit