Food & Friends
Food & Friends is bringing healthy food to hungry minds.
Breakfast, morning meals, snack and lunch programs offered throughout Dufferin, Wellington County and Guelph provide an atmosphere of social inclusion amongst students who may otherwise feel marginalized. Students have decreased disruptive behaviours in the classroom, learn healthy eating habits and build strong social skills.
Why Does Food & Friends Exist?
Many children go to school unprepared to learn. They have not had the right nourishment, which makes it difficult to focus. Numerous studies have shown that children who are hungry do not perform as well as others in school. Our programs help children reach their potential.
How We Make a Difference
- Provide children with a positive start to the day
- Improve their learning abilities
- Decrease disruptive behaviours in the classroom
- Encourage positive social skills
- Teach children healthy eating habits
- 104 student nutrition programs served over 17,600 students.
- 2,274,000 meals were served including breakfast, morning meals, snacks and lunches.
- $1.45 provides and elementary school breakfast and $0.90 provides a healthy snack.
Our community partners include agencies, organizations and private sector companies who support us in our mission, principals, and beliefs.
Funded in part by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services
Administered regionally by the YMCA of Kitchener-Waterloo
"If you don’t eat healthy you will feel hyper and then you will feel really bad. If you eat healthy you will get strong bones and will not be a weakling." Robert, grade 3 student.