Food & Friends
Food & Friends is bringing healthy food to hungry minds.
Breakfast, morning meals, snack and lunch programs offered throughout Dufferin, Wellington County and Guelph elementary and secondary schools that provide an atmosphere of social inclusion amongst students who may otherwise feel marginalized. Students have decreased disruptive behaviours in the classroom, learn healthy eating habits and build strong social skills.
Why Does Food & Friends Exist?
Many children go to school unprepared to learn. They have not had the right nourishment, which makes it difficult to focus. Numerous studies have shown that children who are hungry do not perform as well as others in school. Our programs help children reach their potential.
we support vulnerable children and youth by
- applying for grants on behalf of student nutrition programs
- ensuring criteria and reporting requirements for grants are fulfilled as programs are delivered
- assisting individual programs with their local fundraising efforts
- recruiting and training volunteers to ensure appropriate food menu planning and safe food handling
- providing continuity and assistance in the administration of programs
- organizing forums to promote best practices to enable continuous improvement
- maintaining quality assurance regarding guidelines and standards recommended by the ministry and national charities that provide funding for school-based nutrition programs
How We Make a Difference
- Provide children with a positive start to the day
- Improve their learning abilities
- Decrease disruptive behaviours in the classroom
- Encourage positive social skills
- Teach children healthy eating habits
- 103 student nutrition programs served over 19,000 students.
- 2,615,400 meals were served including breakfast, morning meals, snacks and lunches.
- 1,010 adult and 1,140 student volunteers offered 8,640 hours of their time.
- $1.45 provides and elementary school breakfast and $0.90 provides a healthy snack.
Our community partners include agencies, organizations and private sector companies who support us in our mission, principals, and beliefs.
Funded in part by the Ministry of
Children, Community and Social Services
Administered regionally by the
YMCA of Kitchener-Waterloo
"I just wanted to say that the morning meal program has been so wonderful for us. To be given fresh veggies and fruit washed cut has been such a help. Feels really good to be part of such a great nutritious program. Really makes me feel cared about and important. Thank you." Parent