Why do we exist?
Within Guelph and Wellington County, there are many families who are unable to afford the luxury of gifts and special treats during the holiday season. In fact, this time of year can add extra stress for a family who is already struggling to make ends meet.
Families are referred to the program by many social service agencies within Guelph and Wellington County. The families include single moms and dads, children being raised by grandparents, low income two-parent families, and independent-living youth.
How Adopt-A-Family Makes a Difference
- Lifts the spirits of local families at holiday time.
- Provides donors with actual wish lists from children so that each child receives gifts that are unique and special to them.
- Gives the opportunity for families to have a wonderful holiday dinner, using grocery gift cards.
- Enhances each donor’s holiday experience by giving to a family in their own community.
- 2,821 children and youth received personalized gifts based on their needs and wishes, thanks to over 1,000 donor groups.
- 1,287 family and independent youth referrals were sent to the program by 168 social workers.
- 51% of the family referrals come from single-parent homes.