Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You would be eligible for funding if:

  • your child is 18 or younger when you apply
  • you live in Guelph or Wellington County
  • your family income is below the “low income cut-off”, which is also called the LICO

To see if your family income is below the low income cut-off, we look at your:

  • family size (how many people are in your family)
  • family income (how much money the adults in your home make)

Families with income (we look at Line 236 on your income tax) below the current Statistics Canada Low Before TAx Income Cut-Off (LICO) (see table below) can get full funding (up to $400 per child).

Family Size
Family Net Income (Line 236)
1 person (e.g. independent youth)
2 people (parent + 1 child)
3 people
4 people
5 people
6 people
7 people


Click HERE to see what documents you need to show us your family size and income.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

We can provide up to $400 per child per calendar year (which is January to December) for each child in your family.  We look at when the activity is taking place to determine which calendar year it falls under.

Please note: It is not a guarantee that you will get $400 for your child because it depends on how much funding we have overall.  Funding is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

We fund sports, arts, music, camps, and other recreational activities. Beginning in 2019, we also fund life-skill development activities, such as CPR and first aid courses, babysitting courses, driver’s education, and tutoring. Click HERE for a full list of the activities we fund.

If you don't know if the activity you want is eligible for funding, call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

CLICK HERE to see the steps to open an online account and apply for funding.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

You need:

  • Most current year’s Canada Child Benefit (CCB-OCB) Notice which shows:
    • Your marital status (e.g. single, divorced, or married)
    • The number of children in your family
    • Your family’s net income

This is the portion of the CCB Notice we look at:

Canada Child Benefit Notice Sample

I don’t have the CCB-OBC Notice. What can I use?

You can use:

  • The Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) Notice (looks the same as the CCB-OCB)
  • The GST-HST Credit Notice (looks the same as the CCB-OCB)

Other alternatives:

  • A recent Ontario Works (OW) Statement that shows your name and monthly amounts:

OW Statement

  • A Statutory Declaration from Immigrant or Settlement Services
    • This option is only for refugees and immigrants

Note: The size of the document should be less than 8MB if you are uploading it on the computer or emailing it. If you are uploading, we ask you o black out your Social Insurance Number (SIN) number. For privacy reasons, we do not keep your personal documents on file.

Please contact us if you don’t have any of these documents.


  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

When using the online system, you will be asked to upload your financial document(s). You don’t need to use a scanner. Instead, you can take a photo of your financial document(s) using your cell phone and then upload it as a JPEG. Make sure the photo is clear and legible, like this one:

 Canada Child Benefit Notice Sample

If you can’t upload your financial information, please email it to, fax it to  519-766-4870, or mail/drop it off at our office at 87 Waterloo Avenue.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

Not usually. The sports, recreation, arts, and life-skill organizations in Guelph-Wellington may tell you about our program or help you apply, but they do not typically submit the application for you. You must apply directly to us, either through our online system or through a paper application.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

If you've just opened an account, you will get an automatic email with a link to "activate" your account.

If you don't see it immediately in your email inbox, check your Junk/Spam folder:



For Gmail accounts, you could also check your Promotions folder:



  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

Your Username is your email address. Passwords can be re-set by clicking HERE. 

You will be asked for your email and you will receive an automated email with a link to re-set your password.


Note: If you don’t see the email in your inbox right away, please check your Junk/Spam folder (or Promotions folder for Gmail accounts).


Junk/Spam Folder



Promotions Folder


  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

Yes. You can see in the online system the status of your applications, whether they have been approved or are still waiting to be approved ("pending"). You can also see how much funding your child potentially has remaining for the year.

Please note: available funding is not guaranteed as it depends on our overall availability of funds and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

It usually takes up to a week to hear back from us, but can take up to two weeks during very busy times. If you don’t hear back within one-two weeks, call or email us to check on your application.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

The application process usually takes one week to complete if you have given us everything we need. We recommend applying at least 2 weeks before the activity to give us enough time.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

You can apply for as many activities as you want. Each child has maximum funding of $400 per year. For each activity, you must apply again (either online or on paper).

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

YES, you always need to apply again and give us the details of the new session/activity and costs. You may also need to give us more recent information about your income. We typically update once a year with the new Canada Child Benefit Notice.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

You can apply but we cannot pay you back as we can only pay the organization that provides the activity. However, most organizations can refund you once they have received confirmation that we will be funding the activity, so you could ask them if they will do that in your case.


  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

No, we cannot fund an activity that has already taken place in the past. The activity has to be upcoming. In some cases, if the activity has started but the session is still underway we may be able to fund it.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

As soon as you know your child isn't going to participate in the activity we've given funding for please contact us at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 or email to let us know. It’s important to let us know right away as we may be able to cancel or change the funding for that particular activity depending on the cancellation and the organization's refund policy.

As well, if the child did register for the activity but withdrew early we need to know.  For example, if you were approved for funding for two weeks of camp but ended up only registering for one week, we need to know.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

No. Funds are not transferred from year to year or from child to child in a family.  Even though each child has a potential maximum funding of $400, it doesn’t mean that you will always get $400 for each child. It depends on our overall available funding, and we do fund on a first-come, first-serve basis.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit

The Children’s Foundation is the Community Partner for Jumpstart Canadian Tire in the Guelph and Centre Wellington area. Jumpstart is a national organization that funds kids to participate in sports and physical activities. As partners, we are able to work together to fund as many kids as possible. 

In the past, we have encouraged families to apply directly to us through the Free to Grow Program and then we would apply on their behalf for Jumpstart funding. This was to make it easier for families, so they would only have to apply in one spot. And it was easier for us too, as we could decide what to put through Jumpstart and what we would fund ourselves (or co-fund with Jumpstart).

Changes to Jumpstart

As of January 2020

Jumpstart changed how the Children's Foundation can apply on behalf of families due to changes with their privacy rules about sharing information with sports organizations. Now in order to disburse Jumpstart funds, we need families to either: 

  1. Apply directly to Jumpstart online (more information below about how to do that); or
  2. Sign a document saying they’ve read their Terms and Conditions, which we can keep on file at our office so we can apply on families' behalf.

Jumpstart logo1.  If applying directly to Jumpstart:

  • Go to this webpage to apply for funding for sports and physical activities:
  • Follow their application steps online.
  • Families who are already eligible through Free to Grow can request a letter from us verifying their income eligiblity to upload to their application. You can email to request this letter.
  • When a family applies online, we are still the people who will be processing their application for Jumpstart and will follow-up with the family if there are any questions.

 Children's Foundation Sunshine logo

2.  If Children’s Foundation is applying on your behalf: 

  • If you come into our office to apply for funding for sports activities, we will have you sign Page 6 from the Jumpstart Terms and Conditions that says you have read and agree to their Terms and Conditions, and then we can do the application on your behalf.
  • If it’s hard for you to come to our office in person, and if you are able to print and sign the last page (page 6) of Jumpstart’s Terms and Conditions and send it to us, then we could still do the application on your behalf. Click here for a copy of the Jumpstart Terms and Conditions, along with page 6 to sign and return.

 Note about funding maximums:

The maximum amount of funding available per child, per year is $400 whether funds are coming from the Children’s Foundation or from Jumpstart. While Jumpstart does say it can fund up to $600 per child, that guideline is for across Canada and they also state that “the maximum amount of funding may differ from Chapter to Chapter due to the varying budgets and demand.”  In the Guelph and Centre Wellington Jumpstart Chapters, the maximum is $400 per year, the same as Free to Grow, due to the high demand in this community.

  Go to top...   Admin  Edit