Why Do We Exist?
Many children go to school unprepared to learn. They have not had the right nourishment, which makes it difficult to focus. Our Food & Friends student nutrition programs help children reach their potential. When healthy food is provided, a child’s world changes. They become more alert, able to concentrate, have less classroom disruptions, improve socially, physically, and academically.
Our healthy nutrition programs are available for ALL students to enjoy!
We support vulnerable children and youth by:
- Applying for grants on behalf of student nutrition programs
- Ensuring criteria and reporting requirements for grants are fulfilled as programs are delivered
- Assisting individual programs with their local fundraising efforts
- Recruiting and training volunteers to ensure appropriate food menu planning and safe food handling requirements are being followed
- Providing continuity and assistance in the administration of individual Food & Friends student nutrition programs
- Organizing forums to promote best practices to enable continuous improvements
- Maintaining quality assurance regarding guidelines and standards recommended by the Ministry of Children Community and Social Services and national charities that provide funding for school-based nutrition programs
How we make a difference:
- Provide children and youth with a positive start to the day
- Improve their learning abilities
- Decrease disruptive behaviours in the classroom
- Encourage positive social skills
- Teach children and youth healthy eating habits