Frequently Asked Questions
- How much funding is given out to each child?
- What kinds of activities are funded?
- How do I know if we qualify?
- How does the application process work?
- How do I create an account using the New Online Application?
- I opened an account but never got an email to confirm?
- What happens if I don’t have an email address? Can I still apply?
- What if I've forgotten my Username or Password?
- How do I submit a paper application?
- What financial information should I provide?
- What if I don’t have current financial information?
- What happens if I don’t have access to a scanner to upload my financial information?
- Can I review my pending applications through my account?
- The activity starts next week. Can I apply and be approved this week?
- What activity should I sign my child up for?
- How many activities can I apply for at one time?
- I submitted an application before and was approved. If I want my child to participate in a new session for the same activity or a different activity, do I need to apply again?
- If I paid for an activity can I apply for assistance and be reimbursed?
- What if my child was not able to take part in the activity?
- Can I apply for funding through the organization my child is registering with?
- Can I transfer "unused" funds to next year?
How much funding is given out to each child?
Provided funds are available, we can provide up to $400 per calendar year (January-December) for each eligible child in the family. These funds can be for one activity or a number of activities.
Please note: While we can fund up to $400 per child in a calendar year, that does not mean that $400 is guaranteed for your child. It is always dependent on our overall availability of funds. Typically, we have reached our maximum in funding in September so it is important to apply well in advance of the activity.
What kinds of activities are funded?
We provide funding for sports, cultural and recreational activities. Some examples of activities we provide funding for include:
- sports registration: soccer, baseball, softball, ball hockey, lacrosse, ice hockey, etc
- swimming lessons (note: we do not fund swimming tickets)
- chess or pottery classes
- music, dance or art lessons
- gym memberships
If you are not sure if the activity you wish to provide for your child(ren) would be eligible you can call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email.
How do I know if we qualify?
Children from birth up to and including the age of 18 at the time of application, and who live in Guelph or Wellington County are eligible for funding. Financial Eligibility is determined by gross household income. Click HERE to see what documents we require to show your family's household income.
Families with gross incomes below the following household income levels (based on size) will be eligible for full funding (up to $400).
Family Size: adult(s) + child(ren)
|1 person (e.g. 1 independent teen)||$20,952|
|2 people (e.g. 1 parent + 1 child)||$26,082|
Income levels above are based on current Stats Canada LICO figures. The Board of Directors of The Children's Foundation reviews granting levels and criteria on an annual basis and makes adjustments, if necessary.
How does the application process work?
- Decide on the activity for your child. Contact the organization to find out all the details including:
The name of the activity: please be as specific as possible. For example: "Swimming: Summer 2015 RC Swim Kids 8" vs. "Swimming".
The start date of the activity - this is different than the date you are submitting the application.
The length of activity - example: 8 weeks
The total cost of the activity - please check carefully and be sure of this amount since this is what we will be paying to the organization. For example, be sure to check that the price includes hst.
The name of the organization that is offering the activity. Be sure you have the correct name. For example, swimming lessons at the West End Community Centre are run by the City of Guelph, so the name of the organization should be City of Guelph and not the West End Community Centre.
- If you haven't already done so in the past, create an account online to submit your application or you can fill out an application and submit to our office in person, by email or by fax.
- If we require more information from you, we will contact you and your application will remain pending until we receive the information from you.
- After the application is submitted with the required financial documents, we will review it and a letter will be sent to you to notify you of the decision. You should hear from us within a week. If you have not heard from us within a week, please call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email us to check on the status.
- Depending on your preference, we will either mail or email you a letter indicating whether you've been approved for funding and for how much.
- Once you receive an approval letter for funding, you should contact the organization offering the activity and register directly with them. We do not register for the activity on your behalf.
- The Children’s Foundation will send payment directly to the organization within approximately 2 weeks.
How do I create an account using the New Online Application?
It is very easy to create an account and submit an application for funding. It should only take you about 5 minutes, depending on the number of children you are registering.
Note: You will require a valid email address to create an account. See: "What happens if I don't have an email address...." for information on how to apply by paper format.
CLICK HERE to begin registering. The online system will take you through the steps, but they are also listed below for your reference.
- You will need to Register as a New User under the "Applying for Funding" page. Note: if you have applied in the past by paper format, there may be an account already opened for you. Please call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email first to get your account information rather than opening a new account.
- When you click on Register, you will be asked to provide a "Username", a "Password" and your email address. Click Go!
- A pop-up message will come up saying: "Thank you for registering! You have been sent an email with a confirmation link."
- Check your email account for an email from us with instructions on how to activate your account. You will not be able to proceed until you have checked your email and clicked on the activation link in the email.
- Note: this activation email is sent out automatically and immediately. If you do not see it in your in-box within a few minutes, please check your Spam/Junk folder to see if it's been filtered into there.
- Click on the activation link provided in your email. It will automatically take you back to our online site and your account is now confirmed and activated. At the bottom of this confirmation webpage is an orange button to Login. Click on this Login button.
- Enter the Username and Password you created and click Go!
- You can now follow the online instructions to enter information about your family, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address (please use same email address as you used to Register), family situation, and preferred method of communication. Once entered, click Submit.
- Please wait while the online system processes this page. Once done, you will see the message: "Thank you for adding or editing your family information. Please return to the applicant home page to proceed."
- Click on the link provided for applicant home to now provide information about the child(ren) you are applying for, including their name, birthdate, and gender. You will need to submit for each child you are wishing to apply for.
- Once the first child's information is submitted, you will be given the choice to either Apply For Funding, Edit the child's information you just submitted, or Add a New Child. You can continue to enter additional children.
I opened an account but never got an email to confirm?
If you've just opened an account, you will receive an automatic email with a link to "activate" your account. If you don't see it immediately in your email in-box, check your Junk/Spam folder as it may have been filtered into that folder. For Gmail accounts, you could also check your Promotions folder.
What happens if I don’t have an email address? Can I still apply?
Yes. If you don’t have access to or don’t have an email address, you can still apply to our program using our paper application. You can access this application:
- from our website
- by calling our office at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 and requesting one
- by coming to our office at 87 Waterloo Avenue and filling one out (Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm)
- by emailing us and asking for one to be sent to you
What if I've forgotten my Username or Password?
If you can't remember your Username, please call us at 519.826.9551, ext 23 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request your Username.
You can reset your password through the online program by following these step:
- Go to the Apply for Funding Page at http://www.childrensfoundation.org/free-to-play/apply-for-funding and click on the LOGIN button at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the Reset Your Password button to the right of the Login page.
- It will ask for your User name.
- You will receive an automatic email with a message that says:
You recently requested to reset your password on the Children's Foundation of Guelph and Wellington online grant application site. To reset your password please follow this link. If you did not request this password reset you can ignore this message. Your current password will continue to work.
- Click on that link, which will take you to the online system where you can reset your password. We would suggest storing your password somewhere safe for future reference.
Once you've reset a new password, you can go right ahead and login and submit your application, upload new financial documents, etc.
How do I submit a paper application?
- By email to email@example.com
- By mail or in person to:
Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington
87 Waterloo Ave
Guelph, ON. N1H 3H6
- By fax to 519-766-4870
What financial information should I provide?
We need to see documents that show current financial information for each adult contributing to your gross household income, as well as to verify your family's size and status. Specifically, the two documents we require are:
- The most current Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) – the information you get back once you have filed your Tax Return. If you can't find your Notice of Assessment, you can contact CRA at 1-800-959-8281 for a replacement copy or Click Here for online information about how to obtain a copy of your Notice of Assessment.
- The current Canada Child Tax Benefit (mailed out mid-July each year). Contact CRA at 1-800-387-1193 for a replacement copy. We can also accept the Ontario Trillium Benefit Notice or GST Credit Notice – please note: you don’t need to send all three of these documents – just one will do.
See Samples below.
If you cannot provide the Notice of Assessment, please contact us at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 or firstname.lastname@example.org to determine what we may be able to accept to verify your income.
If you are uploading your financial documents to our secure online system, we still highly recommend you black out your Social Insurance Number (SIN).
SAMPLES: Notice of assessment & Child Tax Benefit Statement
What if I don’t have current financial information?
Financial information is required to review the applications. If we have no information on file for your family, the application will remain pending until we receive it from you. If you do not have your recent Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada, please call us at 519-826-9551 ext 23 or email: email@example.com to see what would be acceptable to provide.
What happens if I don’t have access to a scanner to upload my financial information?
When using the online system, you will be asked to upload your financial document(s). More and more, people are simply taking a photo of their financial document(s) using their cell phone and then uploading that as a jpeg to the site. If you choose this option, please be sure to take a photo that is clear and legible.
If you are unable to upload your financial information, please send it directly to us by fax (519-766-4870) or by mailing or dropping it off at our office (87 Waterloo Avenue, near Glasgow).
Can I review my pending applications through my account?
Yes. That’s one of the great things about the online application. You can now see which applications are still pending, and which ones are approved. You can also confirm how much funding your child potentially has remaining for the year.
Please note: remaining funds potentially available for your child(ren) depends on overall availability of funds and there is no guarantee those funds will be available for your child's activity.
The activity starts next week. Can I apply and be approved this week?
The application process usually takes about 2-3 business days to complete if we have received all the required information and documents although it can take up to a week depending on volume. We suggest that ideally you apply at least 2 weeks before the activity or registration to allow enough time.
What activity should I sign my child up for?
That's up to you! We are here to help you with funding, however we do not register your child(ren) in the activity(ies).
There are a huge number of organizations that provide children’s activities in Guelph and Wellington County. Here are some places to find out more:
- City of Guelph or Township websites
- Volunteer Centre of Guelph Wellington – www.volunteerguelphwellington.on.ca.
- Visit your local Recreation Centre to find out what programs they offer
- Public Libraries
How many activities can I apply for at one time?
We do not limit the number of applications per child, just the dollar amount. A separate application (online or paper) must be submitted for each activity.
I submitted an application before and was approved. If I want my child to participate in a new session for the same activity or a different activity, do I need to apply again?
Whether it is for a new session of the same activity previously funded, or for a brand new activity, you will need to submit another complete application with the details of the new activity and costs. You may also need to submit updated household income documentation, depending on when we last received your financial information and/or if your situation has changed.
If I paid for an activity can I apply for assistance and be reimbursed?
No. We will only make our payments directly to the organizations providing the activity. We do not pay parents directly nor do we reimburse for expenses already paid. One option might be if the organization offering the activity is willing to refund your payment to you. We will need confirmation of this prior to sending funding.
What if my child was not able to take part in the activity?
As soon as you know your child isn't going to participate in the activity we've provided funding for, or that it has changed (example: funding was approved for 3 weeks of camp, but ended up registered for only 2 weeks), please contact us at 519-826-9551 ext. 23 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. This is important, as we may be able to cancel the funding for that particular activity, which then frees up those funds either for your child to use for another activity or for another child waiting for funding.
Can I apply for funding through the organization my child is registering with?
NO. The sports, recreation and arts organizations in Guelph-Wellington may tell you about our program, but they do not submit the application on your behalf. You must apply directly to us, either through our Online Grants program or through a paper application.
Can I transfer "unused" funds to next year?
No. We do not transfer funds not accessed in one calendar year to the next. While we can fund up to $400 per child in a calendar year, that does not mean that $400 is guaranteed for your child. It is always dependent on our overall availability of funds.