The Adopt-A-Family Program matches donors with families in need in order to make Christmas shine a little brighter.
Families are referred to us by social service agencies who have identified they are in need. Adopt-A-Family is about more than gifts under the tree; it's about providing families with support and hope during the holidays. While children's wish lists include all the normal gifts that any child would want, the families' needs very often include basic necessities such as diapers, bedding and winter clothing.
*While Adopt-A-Family is a Christmas holiday program, it is open to people of all backgrounds and traditions.
How does it work?
CLICK HERE to see our Info-Graphic on how the Adopt-A-Family Program works.
Why do we exist?
Within Guelph and Wellington County, there are many families who are unable to afford the luxury of gifts and special treats during the holiday season. In fact, this time of year can add extra stress for a family that is already struggling to make ends meet.
Families are referred to the program by many social service agencies within Guelph and Wellington County. The families include single moms and dads, children being raised by grandparents, low income two-parent families, and independent-living youth.
How Adopt-A-Family Makes a Difference
- Lifts the spirits of local families at holiday time.
- Provides donors with actual wish lists from children so that each child receives gifts that are unique and special to them.
- Gives the opportunity for families to have a wonderful holiday dinner, using grocery gift cards.
- Enhances each donor’s holiday experience by giving to a family in their own community.
- 2,053 children and youth received personalized gifts based on their needs and wishes, thanks to 907 donor groups.
- 934 families were referred to the program by 145 social workers.
- 52% of the families were referred by Family & Children's Services, the Community Resource Centre in Fergus, or the Canadian Mental Health Association.
"I am humbled by the generosity of people who do not event know us. Thank you for making my son's Christmas wishes come true when I could not.” - Jean, Mom