We are Inviting Applications for our Board of Directors
April 12, 2017
Join us and work with other passionate individuals that are committed to helping all children reach their full potential. The Board of Directors provides governance, represents the Foundation in our community and accepts ultimate legal authority for the organization. The Board works collaboratively with the Executive Director to achieve organizational goals set forth in the strategic plan.
Board Director Responsibilities
- Provide strategic vision and direction for the Foundation.
- Protect and enhance the image and reputation of the Foundation.
- Provide governance for the effective operation of the Foundation by setting standards, controls and policies. Ensure that all the organization’s programs and operations adhere to these policies.
- Oversee the financial health and well-being of the organization.
- Ensure that appropriate risk management is in place.
- Assure proper recruitment of Board candidates.
- Define and enforce parameters of the Board’s work including its committees and the role and performance of the individual Board Member.
- Hire the Executive Director. Appraise his/her performance and set compensation.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations affecting the organization.
- Ensure effective management, without intruding in the Executive Director’s role and authority.
- Provide candid advice and perspective regarding the organizations health and effectiveness through the Executive Director, without compromising management’s authority.
It will be expected that all Members of the Board shall:
- Believe in and be an active advocate and ambassador for the values, mission and vision of the Children’s Foundation.
- Regularly attend Board and committee meetings. Prepare for these meetings by reviewing materials. Actively participate in meetings.
- Keep informed about the organization, its issues and its connection to the community.
- Help support the organization’s fundraising initiatives. Specifically:
- Help identify and cultivate relationships with donors and volunteers.
- Give an annual financial contribution to the best of personal ability.
- Participate in fund development by taking on various tasks tailored to your comfort and skills.
- As appropriate, use personal and professional contacts and expertise to benefit the organization, without compromising ethics.
- Be available to serve as a committee chair or Member.
- Refrain from directly making special requests of the staff.
- Refrain discussing staff professional or performance issues with anyone other than the Executive Director
- Respect the authority of the Executive Director and staff.
At this time we are seeking candidates who have:
- Strong community knowledge (ideally a long-standing Guelph/Wellington resident).
- A willingness to help with resource development (past experience fundraising).
- Strong communication skills and will be a good ambassador for the Children’s Foundation.
Our Board terms are 2 years each, renewable up to 3 times. Successful applicants will stand for election to the Board of Directors at our Annual General Meeting in June.
Questions may be directed to:
519-826-9551 ext. 24