Events & Marketing Assistant (Student Employment Opportunity)
We help children and youth reach their full potential through programs that support their intellectual, emotional and physical well-being.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to help with the planning, implementation and communications for the Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington’s summer fundraising and outreach activities. Many of these events are free community events which are critical to raising awareness of the Children’s Foundation to families who require our services including low-income families and new Canadians. These events include the CFGW’s coordination of the children’s area at the Rotary Club of Guelph’s Canada Day, the drink zone at Rotary Club of Trillium’s Ribfest and many other popular community events. The Assistant will report to the Events Manager and work as part of the Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington’s Fundraising Team.
This is a great opportunity that will provide hands on experience in a variety of fundraising and outreach activities. Join us and work with other passionate individuals that are committed to helping all children reach their full potential.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the implementation of engaging community events that will achieve community awareness goals of ensuring all families who need the assistance of the Children’s Foundation are aware of our services.
- Organize critical paths and timelines for event execution and work in conjunction with the other staff to complete all deliverables; adjust plan and manage contingency efforts and resources as required.
- Complete marketing initiatives including website updates, social media, press releases, development of event materials and on-air interviews with an emphasis on accessible information to the families we work with.
- Support the Free to Play Program Director with program outreach to recreational organizations in Guelph and Wellington.
- Integrate engaging mission messaging within all communications to reduce the stigma for families in need of accessing our services.
- Manage the recruitment and support provided to third party event organizers, ensuring organizers have the tools needed and are recognized following the event.
- Support the Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator with the recruiting, orientation and scheduling of volunteers for each event.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs. All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment period;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act 2;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Enrolled in or plans to enroll in a post-secondary program with an emphasis in fund development, communications, marketing or public relations.
- Strong technological skills including MS Office, website updates using a CMS and social media.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Ability to prioritize and organize with an attention to detail and a standard of excellence.
- Previous volunteer experience is considered an asset.
ENVIRONMENT & POSITION DETAILS
- Within the Foundation office and event sites. Must have own transportation. Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Flexibility is required as this position requires several evening and weekend events. May work a flexible schedule to accommodate these activities outside of our regular office hours as long as 32.5 hours are worked in a week.
- 9 weeks (June 12 – August 11)
- Hourly wage: $12.40
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to Glenna Banda at email@example.com with the subject line: Events & Marketing Assistant
The Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including individuals within employment equity categories of women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code. The Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington is committed to employment equity and diversity and a positive and supportive environment. The Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by The Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.